TMHS School Counselor Department

The mission of the Thompson Public Schools Counselor Department is to help all students identify and build upon their strengths and talents.  Counselors will work with all students, at each grade level, to develop appropriate personal, social, academic and career goals.  In partnership with parents/guardians, school staff, and community agency personnel, counselors will offer a proactive guidance program that will assist all students in becoming life long learners and successful members of society.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to the school counselors below.

Class of 2017 College Acceptance

Running Scholarship Total $350,000

Nichols College (4)

Quinebaug Valley Community College (2)

Lasell College

Becker College (4)

Keene State College

Anna Maria College (2)

University of Hartford

Western New England University (3)

Franklin Pierce College (3)

Southern CT State University

Worcester State University (4)

Clark University

Springfield College

Eastern CT State University (4)

Elms College

University of New Haven

University of Tampa

Uconn – Avery Point

University of Rhode Island

Worcester Polytechnic Institute

CEEB Code – 070-565



  1. Complete activity form and recommendation request form and return to School Counselor Secretary.
  2. Complete a release form and return to School Counselor Secretary.
  3. After you have applied online to college, complete a student college application checklist.
  4. School Counseling office requires 2 weeks to process paperwork.
  5. Apply for Scholarships
  6. Check to see if your school requires the CSS Profile.
  7. Complete FAFSA form after October 1st.

Common Application (use google chrome)


  1. Meet with School Counselor in fall.
  2. Practice SAT questions at Khan Academy.
  3. Take PSAT’s in October – given at TMHS the second Wednesday of the month.
  4. Review results on College Board and continue researching colleges.
  5. Take the SAT’s in the spring. Sign up at College Board.
  6. Visit colleges all year long, best time is when colleges are in session. (April vacation).
  7. Write college essay before leaving for the summer and ask English teacher to proof read.
  8. Ask teachers for letters of recommendation.
  9. Begin Common Application after August 1st.


Scholarship List

Local Scholarships

Putnam Rotary Scholarship – complete & submit online.  MUST print and bring signed copy to School Counseling Office by March 15th!  Qualifications – Top 25% of class, financial need. Students with parents or grandparents that are members of the Rotary are NOT eligible.

FAFSA Form – will be available October 1, 2016 Fafsa Update

CSS Profile


Guidance Information

Advanced Placement Testing Information

Activities and Clubs for Students

College Application Process

Common Application

Day Kimball Healthcare Junior Volunteer Application

Job Shadow Packet for Juniors

Khan Academy– great website for homework help and SAT prep.

NCAA – Eligibility

Program of Studies   (Amendment for Music)

Summer Youth Employment Application 2017 – will post in spring

Testing information –

  • PSAT/NMSQT–  Grade 11 students -Given in school the 2nd Wednesday of the Month of October.
  • PSAT 10– Grade 10 students – April 5, 2017
  • PSAT 8/9– Grade 9 students – April 5, 2017
  • SAT– All Juniors will take the SAT in school on Wednesday, April 5, 2017.
  • ACT
  • ASVAB– Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery
  • CAPT Science – Grade 10 students- March 29 & 31, 2017
  • AP Tests at TMHS  – AP United States History, May 5, 2017  & AP Calculus AB, May 9, 2017

Transcript Request – for TMHS graduates

College Information

College and University Rankings

College Majors

Community College Review

Major & Career Search

Princeton Review

5 Things you need to know about college admissions

Financial Aid Links

Federal Student Aid Site

Financial aid FAFSA forcaster

Student aid resource site

Online FAFSA application

Scholarship scams

Tuition Break for New England Colleges

Personality & Career Assessments

Ask your School Counselor for TMHS username and password

Choices Planner

Do What You Are Personality Profile

Military Careers

Today’s Military




Air Force

Coast Guard

CT National Guard

Health & Safety for Students

CDC-Parents of teenagers

Behavioral Health – Child/Adolescent Counseling

Healthy Minds

Teen drug abuse prevention


Students With Disabilities

Association of Higher Education & Disability

Attention Deficit Disorder Association

Autism Families CONNECTicut

Autism Speaks

Children & Adults with Attention Deficit Disorders

Learning Disabilities Association of America

Top Colleges for students with Learning Disabilities



ECE – Early College Experience

College Connections

College Partnerships

Transfer my credits from QVCC

Transfer my credits from UCONN-

  1. Go to with your NetID and password.
  2. Click Self-Service > Student Center
  3. Under Academics select grades from the drop down menu.
  4. Select term to view and click the continue button.
  5. Click the class title to review details about the course.
  6. Click the change term button to view grades from a different semester.

Request a transcript:

  1. Contact your new registrar and ask where a transcript can be sent.
  2. Go to with your NetID and password.
  3. Click Self-Service > Student Center > My Academics > Request Official Transcript.
  4. Complete form and click Submit.

If this is the first time logging in, students might have to complete a FERPA waiver or update contact information. If students do not remember their NetID or password, have them visit where they can find their NetID or reset a forgotten password. Students will not be able to order a transcript if there is a financial hold on the account.

Students attending UConn do not need to request a transcript but do have to speak with an advisor once on campus to move the credit to their degree record. This decision is irreversible.

Finally, you can call the UConn ECE office at 860.486.1045 or email at with any questions or problems. We can also help with the credit transfer process if they encounter trouble.


Janice Hanny
All students with the last names F-Z
860-923-9303, ext 552

Lisa Canney
All students with the last names A-E and All Students with an IEP
860-923-9303, ext 551

Karen LeBlanc
School Counselor’s Secretary
860-923-9303, ext 550