TMHS School Counselor Department
The mission of the Thompson Public Schools Counselor Department is to help all students identify and build upon their strengths and talents. Counselors will work with all students, at each grade level, to develop appropriate personal, social, academic and career goals. In partnership with parents/guardians, school staff, and community agency personnel, counselors will offer a proactive guidance program that will assist all students in becoming life long learners and successful members of society.
If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to the school counselors below.
- Congratulations Class of 2017
- Monthly Newsletters
- Junior/Senior College Information
- Scholarship and Financial Aid Information
- Helpful Links
- College Credit Opportunities
Class of 2017 College Acceptance
Running Scholarship Total $350,000
Nichols College (4)
Quinebaug Valley Community College (2)
Becker College (4)
Keene State College
Anna Maria College (2)
University of Hartford
Western New England University (3)
Franklin Pierce College (3)
Southern CT State University
Worcester State University (4)
Eastern CT State University (4)
University of New Haven
University of Tampa
Uconn – Avery Point
University of Rhode Island
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
CEEB Code – 070-565
COLLEGE APPLICATION PROCESS
- Complete activity form and recommendation request form and return to School Counselor Secretary.
- Complete a release form and return to School Counselor Secretary.
- After you have applied online to college, complete a student college application checklist.
- School Counseling office requires 2 weeks to process paperwork.
- Apply for Scholarships
- Check to see if your school requires the CSS Profile.
- Complete FAFSA form after October 1st.
Common Application (use google chrome)
- Meet with School Counselor in fall.
- Practice SAT questions at Khan Academy.
- Take PSAT’s in October – given at TMHS the second Wednesday of the month.
- Review results on College Board and continue researching colleges.
- Take the SAT’s in the spring. Sign up at College Board.
- Visit colleges all year long, best time is when colleges are in session. (April vacation).
- Write college essay before leaving for the summer and ask English teacher to proof read.
- Ask teachers for letters of recommendation.
- Begin Common Application after August 1st.
Putnam Rotary Scholarship – complete & submit online. MUST print and bring signed copy to School Counseling Office by March 15th! Qualifications – Top 25% of class, financial need. Students with parents or grandparents that are members of the Rotary are NOT eligible.
Khan Academy– great website for homework help and SAT prep.
NCAA – Eligibility
Summer Youth Employment Application 2017 – will post in spring
Testing information –
- PSAT/NMSQT– Grade 11 students -Given in school the 2nd Wednesday of the Month of October.
- PSAT 10– Grade 10 students – April 5, 2017
- PSAT 8/9– Grade 9 students – April 5, 2017
- SAT– All Juniors will take the SAT in school on Wednesday, April 5, 2017.
- ASVAB– Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery
- CAPT Science – Grade 10 students- March 29 & 31, 2017
- AP Tests at TMHS – AP United States History, May 5, 2017 & AP Calculus AB, May 9, 2017
Transcript Request – for TMHS graduates
Financial Aid Links
Personality & Career Assessments
Ask your School Counselor for TMHS username and password
Health & Safety for Students
Students With Disabilities
All students with the last names F-Z
860-923-9303, ext 552
All students with the last names A-E and All Students with an IEP
860-923-9303, ext 551
School Counselor’s Secretary
860-923-9303, ext 550